Sunday, November 09, 2008

Naina and Sam part- 3

This second thrust prompted me to reopen the site as soon as I connected my system. I spent a lot of time viewing it and even pushed my colleague who sits next to me to open the link as he is also a dog lover. Subconsciously all that was hovering in my head was dogs, dogs and cuter dogs.

The same night, after dinner, where I did not actually eat much but felt bloated, we decided to take a walk. The moment we locked our door, I saw a not as small as Sam when we found him, but still, a think black puppy across the lane, near the neighbors who were predominantly chatting with each other. I went up to him (default gender) and held his face. It rested its chin on both of my palms and stayed in that pose for as long as I couldn’t help smiling at the innocent grey eyes and the serene expression it had. The urge to pick up a street pup, with no qualms about the hygiene issues (otherwise I am a hygiene freak, carry a sanitizer everywhere) always possesses me. The moment I held it, it shrieked. I knew it must be hurt somewhere to yelp in pain like that and sure enough, I found a bare patch of skin where the black coat was missing.
I fed it biscuits and placed a mat for it outside my apartment so that I could look after it. Varad was very anti keeping it inside no matter how much I wanted. It ran across the lane and climbed the stairs in the opposite block. I resigned and came back in. In a while, I helped it to sneak into our house. It lay on the same mat which I now brought inside and slept peacefully. We locked the door of that room and decided to let it be there. The same night, I had decided to take a leave from work and take it to the vet. I also spoke to a girl from Delhi who has been fostering pups for a while and took her number from her website and gathered information on adoption of such dogs. The same time we found out that it was a female pup.
One thing to mention here is that she growled when I petted it while it ate the biscuits last night. However calm and well behaved otherwise , I can say so because Sam is a complete brat in front of her, she behaved aggressively when a friend of ours who happened to be present there, tried to place her on the mat instead of the cold floor. Later the same night, I surmised that it must be behaving this way due to the torment and hardships it must have faced while on the street, when people poke sticks when the pup is sleeping, when it has fight with others dogs for food. I thought this would also be about winning her trust.

The next day I managed somehow to put her in the car and drive some 10kms to show her to a vet. It was a very moving experience to pin her on the cold steel table while the attendant oozed puss and blood from a second wound that we hadn’t even spotted the last night. It was heart wrenching to see that tiny life form suffering so much. I fought back tears and the attendant asked me to leave the room if I was planning to faint. I told them I wouldn’t and I didn’t. It felt a little better to know that she would get fine in 2 weeks and the vet was very kind and supportive and wrote out anti biotic for her.

I got her home and dressed her wounds. We applied our own understanding recalling our wounds as children and applied the appropriate medicine. Later the same night the puss stopped oozing.

This brings me to the dilemma I am facing right now and why am I strengthened to nurse her and be ready to make room for her in my life. To add to this series of spiritual events, I saw the movie Evan Allmighty. Morgan Freeman says something like, “When you ask god for courage, does he give it to you simply like some drug or does he give you opportunities to be courageous?”

I had been talking to people and realizing that the only religion I try to practice though it is very hard, is Humanity. Within a few hours to making this statement, I find this pup. I will put her up for adoption and pray to god that she gets a loving home and family like ours. Until her wounds are healed and she gets all strong and pretty, I will take care of her. I pray to the same power that brought her to my door step to take care of her for what is to come. I have named her Naina. She has the most innocent gret eyes with the most serene expression that I have ever seen.

1 Comments:

Blogger georgia little pea said...

Here I am, hoping to thank you for leaving a note for Rufus and for reading his stories, but it appears I am 3 years too late :(

I wonder what happened to Naina.

I also read an older post about how you're not religious but are a humanist. I am the same. Your childhood of wanting to rescue strays is also VERY familiar!

Sad that you're not longer blogging. But perhaps you'll still get this message.

Thank you and I hope you're having a great life xox

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home